The last couple of months I haven’t been able to use 3D acceleration because xorg would use 98% of my cpu and plasma would use the other 2% making up 100% of 1 core (I have 2, so why plasma couldn’t run on the other I’m not sure…) Anyway if I turn 3D acceleration off then every second time I turn my computer on the top bar across each of my windows would dissapear so I was unable to move any window and unable to swap between windows.
So last night I turned 3D acceleration back on then slowly went into System Settings -> appearance and turned each of the effect things I could find to none (colour-> effects, style->effects, icons->advanced), Then Gab suggested I backup and then delete .kde4 in my home folder due to the multiple kdebase updates that have been d’loaded since kubuntu beta release. I also edited my xorg.conf, adding to the bottom of it:
Option "Composite" "Disable"
After restarting my computer seems to work, even when I turn it on for a second time it still seems to work (Including 3D acceleration) however it has produced some more errors, such as firefox 3 has gone back to the gnome look, and I can’t get to webpages using the address bar something about “ASSERT: *** Search: _installLocation: engine has no file!”
Edit: firefox seems to have had an update, now the address bar works