Background dad’s bike which has happy sat out the frount of our house for the past 6 years was stolen a couple nights ago. managed to take the bike not wake up the dog or anything.
So I starting thinking how can I set of a alarm when people open the front gate or any gate which leads to our stuff.
So pretty simple hard hack
- Door bell
- Magnetic Reed Switch NO (normally open)
- Pull apart door bell switch, the part with the button on it.
- locate the button
- solder the Magnetic Reed Switch across the button so that if the switch is ON it shorts out the button.
- put back together.
Pictures will follow.
For those who don’t know magnetic reed switches are things you see on doors and windows where they actually installed a real security system
Install the door bell / switch tomorrow see how it goes.
- With the HPM door bell it only rings once and doesn’t ring again until you’ve closed the gate and reopened it.
- Yes I know it would be much easier to secure the bike eg. not full view of the street or not locked up.
- Need to look at adding a override device so when you come home at 3 am in the morning you don’t wake the whole house.