So I decided to build a quad mainly the one designed by the diydrones.com people, there are 2 suppliers of the kit jdrones and udrones. one is based in Asia the other in the US.
I decided to be slack and buy the pre-soldered kit, I can solder and it’s not like it was anything hard like surface mount. Big NOTE when they say pre-soldered they don’t mean the entire kit has be soldered you still have to solder 24 bullet connectors and the power distribution board, and for some reason they give you the magnetometer attached by cable not soldered directly to a header on a board like they recommend.
So what I purchased from Jdrones
- ArduCopter Quad v1.1 KIT, KIT, Pre-Soldered, Tested + Software
- Upgraded with the 880kv motors 30amp esc and larger props.
- Also wanted to be able to do low altitude hover so I brought a sonar
- http://store.jdrones.com/product_p/cbl3psnr01.htm (cable)
- http://store.jdrones.com/product_p/mb1200.htm (sonar)
- http://store.jdrones.com/product_p/mntmx12pc01.htm (mount)
- What I forgot to buy is some headers: http://store.jdrones.com/product_p/conhead20angle.htm and http://store.jdrones.com/product_p/conhead20str.htm
Ok so this isn’t enough to make it fly and yes you’ve just spent nearly a AU$1000 you’ll also need to get a Battery, and a radio. For that I tried the hobbyking.com shop. Note: if it’s not in stock in the Australian warehouse delivery times seem a bit slow.Also LiPo battery’s can not be shipped by air, make sure you buy in Australia for those.
Lastly is the radio the most expensive single item after the kit. I’m trying to get my hand on this but apparently the queue is long and the might take months. why so popular you ask well it cost like $60. and something with that many channels cost normally around $200+ so If nothing ships soon I’m looking at buying one of these Futaba 7c and probably from the more local hobby store dune planes
What you need to know about the TX RX radio is basically get 2.4 GHz otherwise the local model aircraft club will not let you fly near them. and you need at least 6 channels and any more than 8 channels is pointless
The diydrone has a very smart and easily programmable flight controller if you want cheap and no as intelligent have a look at kkmulticopter